PSA: Do not update Chrome Canary to Version 31.0.1613.1 canary Aura

Just a quick post about some issues I’ve been having with the recent update to Chrome Canary.

Ever since updating to Version 31.0.1613.1 canary Aura this morning, I’ve noticed my computer was extremely unresponsive. I mostly ignored it for a while and tried to get on with doing my work, but about an hour or so after, my computer just died.

After rebooting and experiencing the same slowness, I took a quick glance at my CPU usage. Surprisingly, with only 3 programs open (Chrome Stable, Chrome Canary, and Sublime Text 3), my task manager reported my CPU usage consistently at 100%. Closing Chrome Canary caused the CPU to instantly drop to between 10% and 19%. That’s when I remembered that I had updated Chrome Canary about an hour ago. I tried opening Chrome Canary again, let all my tabs load, and the same consistent spike at 100% appeared again.

CPU spiking up when Chrome Canary is launched, stays at 100%, then drops back after terminating

CPU spiking up when Chrome Canary is launched, stays at 100%, then drops back after terminating

The tabs I have open in Chrome stable and Chrome Canary are mostly the same. I dedicate one to my development work and emails, and the other to my personal projects and emails, along with a few articles from Hacker News for a later read. The CPU usage of both builds has always been similar for me, so it seems pretty clear that this recent build has some major issues.

Some other issues I experienced while using this build: when I go on Gchat or Facebook chat, type something, then tab out to another program, then return to chat, nothing I type shows up. Major annoyance.

Just thought I’d write a quick post about it in case anyone experiences similar issues, though something this big will likely be fixed in a new build tomorrow.

Loading Disqus Comments ...
Loading Facebook Comments ...